Sunday, September 27, 2009

Cheese Please

When my hubby and I first got married, we loved having other couples over for dinner. I fancied myself a good cook, after summers spent with my grandmother learning the craft. Sometimes my brialliance shone, other times people were polite. Like the Sesame Turkey Ham incident.

But a favorite that I hit upon early which always pleased my husband (and even his funny friend who had to endure the Sesame Turkey Ham) was Cheesy Chili & Chicken Cornbread Casserole. Nearly 13 years later as fall starts to come on, the darling man starts asking for this hearty, heavy, heavenly hash.

2 packages refrigerated corn bread dough (it comes perforated to make cornbread sticks)
1 can Stag Chicken Chili
1 can Stag Green Pepper Chili
2 cups Colby Jack, Shredded
1 can Swanson Chicken Breast

In a round casserole dish (I use Pampered Chef's deep dish baker) arrange most of one package of cornbread strips to cover the bottom, pressing seams together. Bake at 350 for 14-16 minutes, until just done. Meanwhile warm the cans of chili together in a saucepan. Sprinkle half a cup or so of the shredded cheese over cornbread, pour half the chili over that and then crumble the chicken meat on top of the chili.

Cover the chicken with about half a cup more of the shredded cheese and pour the rest of the chili over that, then- you guessed it- more shredded cheese! Use the second package of cornbread strips to create a latticed top. Bake 25- 30 minutes more. Serve with sour cream, diced onions and extra cheese.

That's the cheesiest post I could come up with.

Prompted by Sunday Scribblings, topic today: "Cheese".
If you are reading this on Facebook, click on "View Original Post" to see my blog's new fall makeover!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...