Friday, March 18, 2011

Grab & Go Breakfast Logs

Was trying to make cookies- my Kitchen Assistant suggested they were more like Breakfast Bites, and I reshaped the next batch into logs, I plan to keep these babies on hand! Throwing a few in the freezer today to see how they fare...

Basically I blended peeled, cored and sliced organic apples (3 gala and 2 granny smiths) with 1/2 c water from boiled beets and 1/4 cup honey, until it was smooth. Then I added 1/2 cup canola oil and blended with a whisk.

In another bowl I put 2 1/2 cups oats, 1/2 cup spelt flour, 1/4 cup whole wheat flour and 1/4 cup all purpose flour, along with vegan egg substitute (Ener-G Egg Replacer powder) and a few shakes of salt.

We combined the wet & dry ingredients then folded in 1/2 cup raisins and swirled in 1/4 cup peanut butter.



This recipe is VERY loosely based on Oatmeal Cookies from Rodale's Naturally Great Foods, a cookbook I have been reading- it has a lot of information and tons of recipes... but it isn't vegan- nor even vegetarian. Labels. schmabels, it has good eats!

We also experimented with drying beets again, my Kitchen Assistant thought we could try a salty-cinnamon-sugar, and it turned out surprisingly good. Still need to adjust something as they are a bit chewier than I would like. Mary Bell's Dehydrated foods suggested boiling first, maybe I didn't do it long enough- it was a big beet! The skin came off much easier after boiling.


Many of the things we did the recipe came from ideas inspired by the newly learned cooking terms my Kitchen Assistant has added to her vocabulary. G-pie totally wow'ed me with her already accumulated knowledge of cooking terms! (I am creating a soon-to-be-downloadable homeschool cooking course as we go- see tag KitchenAsstLP for posts with resources and materials).

We reviewed the 44 words on her word search - and she knew half of them! We also colored our Farmer's Market Veggies and arranged baskets of colorful vegetables- this turned into a great time for G-pie to teach J-cakes her colors and she ended up making a flashcard set to aid in her very-seriously undertaken duty.

Hmmm... I think we need a mentoring class at S.C.H.O.O.L. Session 3 Schedule is due to be published with our newly designed website by Sunday night- we have new classes for older kids (6th - 8th grade) and more options for Science and Drawing.

My lovely Mother In Law is bringing us a meal today, I have been blessed by the outpouring of love (and food) as I heal. Today we will be having a fabulous salad from Rutabagorz- yum!

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...